Saturday, October 1, 2016

SHG: Dick & Deedee: "The Mountain's High"



Dick & Dee Dee: “The Mountain’s High”
Entered the chart on: 8/28/1961
Peaked on: 9/25/1961
Weeks at #2: 2
Song at #1: “Take Good Care of My Baby” by Bobby Vee


I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know something good is coming on the horizon. Gifted with foresight, I also know that 1962 has much better songs. In the meantime, let’s take a look at “The Mountain’s High,” an oldie you don’t really hear much anymore. Methinks there might be a reason for that. Only one way to find out.



[makes sour lemon face]

Right, I get what they’re going for. Whitewashing isn’t cool anymore. It’s 1961, and sounding like you’re black is cool. I think this might be our first instance of “blue-eyed soul.” I would have preferred the Righteous Brothers, but I got Dick & Deedee. Them’s the breaks, I suppose.

The best thing about this is that “rat-a-tat” snare drum hook. The worst thing about this is definitely Dick & Deedee themselves. Dick sounds strained most of the time while Deedee is so insufferably shrill. If I had a dog, no doubt he’d be howling in agony at this, begging me to turn it off.

And then Deedee starts making cuckoo bird noises at the end, for no real good reason. Deedee, Martha Reeves you are not.

[needle scratch]

Well, that’s enough of that then. Time to put on some Mary Wells and cleanse the palate. And the brain.

Rating: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment