Sunday, July 3, 2016

Second Hand Goods: Introduction



Welcome to a new feature! I said I’m going to do it, and I’m doing it! I call it Second Hand Goods, and it’s a (text) review series of all the songs that peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts from 1955 to the present. Lots of people have done reviews of #1 songs, but has anyone done #2 hits before? I’m sure if it’s been done, you’ll let me know.

I’ve cobbled together my chart info from various sources, but I’m mainly using Joel Whitburn’s Top 40 Hits as my source. Note that there were various charts running simultaneously up until roughly 1958, and Whitburn seemed to reason that the chart with the highest position was the “official” position. If you disagree with the songs I’m doing for these early ones, take it up with him. I also don’t have the exact info for when these songs peaked on the charts, so if you want to know which #1 songs these were sitting behind, you’re on your own!

I’m going over the later entries with a fine-toothed comb, hoping I haven’t forgotten anything. I’m sure if there’s any mistakes or oversights, you’ll be quick to point them out!

I’m considering doing a 0-5 rating of each song after I review it. We’ll see how that pans out.

Here goes nothing! Hope you enjoy following along with me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment